As I see that you guys started turbo projects just a bit before me, so I have to catch up :)
A lot of turboed 1NZs lately :D
So here's mine, until now: I got the car about 2 month ago, and got it mainly because it was a good price (at least for the local market). I took it as a project basically, and maybe because I've always wanted a T-Sport after 5 years with the 1.0.
I knew from the beginning there were some problems with the engine, but I believed in the first instance they were timing chain related. The car was (and at the moment it still is) in a bad shape (interior and exterior), although it isn't rusty. Only that it hasn't been taken care of.
So, after I got it home and directly to the service, we measured the compression, which was down to about 9, from 14. We dismantled the rocker cover and the timing cover and could observed some very nasty things about it: the oil was weird, and very greasy.
In that moment there were 2 choices: replace the new engine with a new scrapyard one, or rebuild the current one. Considering that the only scrapyard availability was a 1200 Eur engine (workmanship and taxes included), that was over half of what I paid for the car, for an engine that I didn't know how long it would last, I took the decision to rebuild the engine; I didn't need the car asap anyway.
With the cylinder head off, some odd things could be observed: the cylinder walls were worn in a very weird way, they were having at the top a smaller diameter than the specified standard, 75.00mm (they were about 74.50-74.70 mm), and much larger in the middle and at the bottom, almost like conical.
After everything was out, and I've started to get different things for rebuild and remanufacturing (as the engine block to be rebored and honed); several days later I was the only one bidding on an ebay 1NZ low compression forged internals rebuilded engine, even though I bid only half of the asked price. The guys offered me a chance to get it, and pressed by the 24h timeframe, I said what a heck, let's roll (I just trusted the ad...I know, I know, I shouldn't). Right after I've bought it I realised it is a TBR engine, rebuild by them, with Arias 9.0 compression pistons, and Molnar Rods.
It's been one month since the engine arrived, and we are slowly putting it back together. I'm very anxious to see if I've made a big mistake buying it or not.
Some pictures up until now (beside the big parts, everything is new: timing chain kit, sprockets, vvt-i controller, water pump, oil pump, thermostat, plugs, bolts (lots and lots of bolts), gaskets, filters, spark plugs, clutch, etc).