Sign in to follow this  
Twisterboy

Running In A New Yaris..... Is It A Limiter??

Hi all,

Don't know if any of the mark 1 or 2 Yaris' have this when purchased from brand new but I recently took our Mark 3 Yaris on a 150 mile round trip around scotland for a couple of days and noticed that the car did not seem to rev higher than 3000rpm, on the way back home today I noticed that it seemed to rev up to 4000rpm now, is it just me or is it a simple case that the car has a rev limiter and with each mile that goes on the clock it losens up the engine more and allows a few more revs.

At the moment the car now has 337miles on the clock.

Cheers

Davy

There's a good chance they fitted a rev limiter that turns off at a certain mileage to prevent you from messing the car up while it's breaking in.

But then again, I thought new cars didn't need a break-in period anymore.

Thats what I heard, the manual says basically avoid heavy use of the brakes for the first 188 miles or something like that and a couple of other run in tips but not to the engine IIRC, never having a brand new car before, I'm trying to run it in for 1000 miles before abusing the car a bit more.

Davy

i pdi'd a new yaris like yours today at work and it didnt have any limit to the revs at all on roadtest, to be honest you could boot it and it would be fine, ive seen new cars from ford, volvo, seat and god knows how many other makes getting booted round the industrial estate with the protective wrapping on so prob only done 3 miles lol, if a ford can survive then a toyota definatly will :lol:

We have loads of new Yaris registered at work now as courtesy cars and demo etc, none of them are limited, trust me haha

I would be getting it booked in just in case there's an underlying issue there..

Cool it seems fine now, been increasing the engine speeds up a little bit and seems to rev a lot more, maybe it was just me thinking it had a limiter because I have heard of cars that have a limiter from someone.

I was told to not go past 60 mph before 2000km, after 2000 km I should floor the first second and third gear, and at 3000 km I should floor all the gears, except 6th, which I've done :)

My SR seems to be a bit looser after 700 odd miles , seems to respond a bit quicker on the throttle. Also getting better MPG now , can almost eek out 400 miles to a tank now.

Looks like its on course to 340 miles now , but I do a lot of motorway miles , on the display it is about 45 mpgs at the moment. Hoon it and that drops rapidly

[quote name='Lustral' date='13 April 2012 - 08:11 PM' timestamp='1334347902' post='188829']
Looks like its on course to 340 miles now , but I do a lot of motorway miles , on the display it is about 45 mpgs at the moment. Hoon it and that drops rapidly
[/quote]

45MPG is what I'm averaging, tend to do a lot of short hops in town so my MPG is about 39-45MPG!

Davy

[quote name='twister' date='14 April 2012 - 06:27 PM' timestamp='1334428046' post='188931']
45MPG is what I'm averaging, tend to do a lot of short hops in town so my MPG is about 39-45MPG!

Davy
[/quote]

Mine said 45.7MPG when i filled up today , the fuel light was flashing on 316 Miles on the trip, so i would say a bit more eco driving will net me about 360-370 miles.

Well at my last tank I got close to 320 miles from a tank, chickened out at 298 miles before filling her up and since I've started using a fuel additive I' ve noticed my fuel economy has gone up, current mileage of the Yaris is 3555 miles.

Davy

[quote name='twister' date='06 May 2012 - 02:52 PM' timestamp='1336315931' post='192420']
Well at my last tank I got close to 320 miles from a tank, chickened out at 298 miles before filling her up and since I've started using a fuel additive I' ve noticed my fuel economy has gone up, current mileage of the Yaris is 3555 miles.

Davy
[/quote]

What additive do u use ? does it really work ?

Redex is what I'm using picked up four bottles for £15 in costco, I think it is working, notice a slight improvement in MPG and Yaris seems more responsive.

Davy

Filled up today £41 worth of the Asda stuff , been a bit more light footed the last 2 days of commuting.

Basically i limit myself to 3K RPM max :) , this gave me a bit more miles. Range was upto 359 miles at one point.

Well just about 5000 miles in.
The engine is really starting to free up and the VVTI is becoming more noticable, Fun Times!
Im getting on average 49 -51 Average MPG

im coming up to the 3k miles on mine after 2 months of owning

Seems a bit more responsive id say , eco is up and down like a yo yo.

Just clicked over to 4000 miles since September and I got a pretty decent MPG of 53.2 on the way up to Crail for our memorial meet, much better than what Toyota claim the 1.33 6 speed manuel should be!

Toyota claim it should be about 52.5MPG!

Davy

i must be driving it wrong then ?

also had a flat tyre today after work , had to use the space saver tyre to limp home , which was 30 miles on A & B roads , totally not fun and had to stick below 50mph.

took the tyre indoors and i cant see any punctures on the tyre at all , well i have pumped the tyre to 32 psi and hopefully in the morning should be 32 psi , if not ill take it down to the tyre repair place.

The CVT won't be helping your fuel economy.

I would expect no less than 50 in the 1.33
Saying that I averaged about 45-50 in the Aygo which is supposed to do 62.