Sign in to follow this  
linzal

Stalling Problem

So, driving to work this morning I stalled in traffic (do this quite often as my last car was auto)... this time it was different though. I turned the key off and then back on and nothing. So, I put the handbrake on and took my foot off the clutch... nothing again. I put my foot on the clutch and got nothing. It was only when I took the key completely out, foot off the clutch and then put the key back in and foor down on the clutch that it started. Totally annoying!!!!!!

Also, this hasn't happened any other time I have stalled, normally I just turn off and on?!

does it have the stop/start technology?

i had a mk2 yaris with the start/stop system as a courtesy car, I couldn't get on with it, and did as you say stall in traffic, and had trouble restarting it.

i guess the best thing to do would be to read up on the start/stop proceedure in the hand book, and what to do if you do stall the car.

at a guess it must be something to do with stalling the car in the transition between the start/stop system, therefore totally messing it up and you having to start again.

Fully Manual cars ftw if thats the issue, all this new technology is such a waste of resources, time and energy

I have just checked the spec and it doesn't seem to have stop/start technology. It was just weird that this is the first time I have had to completely remove the key and start afresh.

To enable my engine I do have to have my foot down on the clutch. However, when I have stalled before as long as my foot is down, I can just turn the key off and on and it's back. Weird!

This is what I found on a google search...

Toyota Yaris models fitted with the 1.33 litre Dual VVT-I petrol engine may be equipped with an improved version of Toyota's Stop & Start system. Available in specific markets, the system now features a longer engine shut off time and will operate through a wider temperature range.

Nothing comes up for the spec on the Toyota website though.

If its got stop/start, you'll have an "eco" button to turn it off, also on your trip meter you'll have an eco counter :)

I don't think you have stop and start, my SR does not have it, would be worth taking back to the dealer, just to see if there is any diagnostic fault codes that may pop up.

Is the stop/start system not only vailble on the T-Spirit??

I also got caught out starting the car without depressing the clutch, but my wife after a couple of days of us owning the car spent five mins trying to start the car then realised it would only start with the clutch depressed.

Davy

[quote name='Ub3R' date='13 March 2012 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1331661498' post='184750']
^+1

We need a size limit on the signatures.
[/quote]

Sorry if it caused any offence :p

I rang the dealership and my car does not have stop/start technology... he said if it does it again to bring it back!

It is indeed weird, for I stalled the first day I got it right, removed foot of clutch>turned the key to radio mode > clutch down and turned to ignition, and voila it was go go go !

Maybe during the stall you forgot to depress the clutch ?

However I wouldn't totally rule out that weird problem, for one day my touch & go suddenly lost blue tooth connection to the Iphone and I had to turn the engine off, and start it again..!

I have stalled mine a couple of times now without realising it until you get the warning lights on the dashboard. Always starts back up again no problem.

Davy