Sign in to follow this  
kayakjim

Throttle Sensitivity And Engaging Clutch- Petrol 1.33

I am starting to feel like I need driving lessons again. I know I have been driving a diesel for a while, but since getting my 2011 1.33 Yaris SR Mk3 last week, I still don't seem to have mastered the correct combination of throttle and smooth clutch release to enable a smooth take-up. My wife drove it for the first time today and also commented on finding it difficult to get the correct amount of revs and smooth clutch release. Are we just out of practice on petrol engine cars, or has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering if the throttle is a bit too sensitive. Thoughts and comments appreciated....

I haven't driven the new Yaris, but I imagine its just how new cars seem to be now. Sensitive brakes, sensitive throttle, etc. I'd ask Davy what he thinks of it.

[quote name='Aidan' timestamp='1350396293' post='219875']
I haven't driven the new Yaris, but I imagine its just how new cars seem to be now. Sensitive brakes, sensitive throttle, etc. I'd ask Davy what he thinks of it.
[/quote]
Thanks Aidan, its now week 2 and have decided that it is a 'feature' rather than a fault. Might try driving in my socks :-)

Think i was the same when we first purchased the yaris as i had spent four years driving a diesel as well.

I find that it can be difficult to get off my drive maybe because i find the pedal travel short on the clutch.

We share the yaris so its difficult to tell about how sensitive it is as i can never get the seat back in the same position each time.

Davy

Mm.. Yes came across the seat problem this morning after the better half had been for a spin. Seems to have a lot of travel for a small car. The same cannot be said for the reach adjustment on the steering wheel which seems to be pointlessly short.

when i test drove one before i got mine i was the same i found the clutch really springy compared to my previous cars but i was alright after a while. prob didnt help as the car i had before was a auto haha

I have this problem too - I had a diesel Golf and a diesel polo before the 1.33 petrol Yaris so thought it was just me not being able to drive a petrol. Stalled it all the time when I first got it but seem to have got used to it now (had her since April) although it's still a bit annoying that you have to be so careful.

[quote name='kayakjim' timestamp='1349979160' post='218945']I am starting to feel like I need driving lessons again. I know I have been driving a diesel for a while, but since getting my 2011 1.33 Yaris SR Mk3 last week, I still don't seem to have mastered the correct combination of throttle and smooth clutch release to enable a smooth take-up. My wife drove it for the first time today and also commented on finding it difficult to get the correct amount of revs and smooth clutch release. Are we just out of practice on petrol engine cars, or has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering if the throttle is a bit too sensitive. Thoughts and comments appreciated....[/quote]

New yaris have fly by wire throttle which can make the throttle feel odd

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

I have done 3000 miles in my 64' Yaris and still hate the clutch. It also feels like there is a delay on the throttle response. Like the pedal is linked to the throttle via electrics and not via a able. There is a delay in moving the throttle pedal to when the engine responds. I find this contributes to the pulling away issues.

I drive a diesel avensis everyday and sometimes my wife's petrol 1.3 yaris sr. Same feeling here in the yaris regarding the clutch-throttle thing. Always takes me a good few take offs before I get used to it. Throttle feels a bit delayed and I always feel like I'm overreving it a bit or if not then I'm stalling it. But then again I get used to the way it works and it's fine. My avensis is a bit older but the throttle response is instant.