Sign in to follow this  
Lustral

Low Idle & Juddering

Bit of a strange one today

My SR had a bit of a hiccup today , only after i have driven about 33 miles out of the 66 miles that i was planned to cover. The engine seems to judder when it was idling. The RPM was really low , about 600 RPMs and every few secs the whole car juddered and the vibration went through the car. The car didnt stall , but it felt like it wanted to.

Only thing that i could have think of is either a spark plug went out mid drive , or i had a mis-firing cylinder.

The problem went away when I switched of the engine and restart like a minute after.

Very strange

Have been driving pretty hard the day before , ( Hitting 5.5K RPMs ) and high motorway speeds , 80-85MPH on speedo.
Also the drive today i was pushing it as well.

What does everyone else think ? Trip to the dealer or just take it as one of the things that happens randomly.

Could be a ignition coil going bad? Just drive it till EML comes on

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

i wouldnt say that 5500rpm is hard driving... unless it was a diesel, but thats where they make most of their power so in effect if you dont rev the thing your not really getting any of the cars potential.  

Juddering sounds like either an intermittent misfire or a fueling problem but either way you would have warning lights up?

If so get it plugged in to look for any pending or stored codes to ease your mind but if its gone away after the old 'off and on again' trick i wouldnt worry :)

Yeah it hasn't happened again , only difference is I dunked V-power nitro for fuel instead of normal unleaded.

No lights came on at all, I got a odb 2 reader but I can't find the port on the MK3

Well 5.5k RPM is getting close to the red line ... , hence I would say it is almost to the max

Well i dunked some more V Power Nitro in tonight , £44 worth :)

Dont think it is the fuel as i have used V Power before without an issue , unless this new Nitro stuff is a lot different than the usual.

But the idle juddering hasnt happened since Sunday. If it happens again ill take it straight to the dealer.

Wondering if its the fuel?

Would check to see where the obd port is for you but wife has the yaris tonight!

Davy

Cheers let me know , no rush

Have been driving pretty hard the day before , ( Hitting 5.5K RPMs ) and high motorway speeds , 80-85MPH on speedo.
Also the drive today i was pushing it as well.

Engines are meant to be driven, they don't break anywhere near that easily. I pretty much sat on 7k for two hours in a 323 at Lydden and that thing was on 90,000 miles, 12 years old and looked like a pos lol. It wouldn't be a coil pack as it wouldn't be constrained to just the idle and you'd know a misfiring cylinder.

My tsport feels exactly the same way when it nice and hot, low idle and a small judder every now and then. Nothing to worry about unless it stalls tbh

Lustral -

As promised a pic of the OBD port, it's to the left of the bonnet release, would have thought they might have stuck a cover over it, something which I may end up buying in time.

Cheers

Davy

2013-04-30084311_zpscb7b1811.jpg

Nothing is showing on my ODB2 reader that i can make out 

It is on the CAN system , no DTC codes showing. So i guess it is one of those things. 

funny to see another yaris doing this, my trend is 13 weeks old and on my way home yesterday 15th may it started to missfire and pop through the exhaust, i poped the bonnet and saw the engine rocking like mad, i uncoupled no 1 coil pack and it didnt do anything, so i turned it off and left it a minute then started it up again and it was back to normal, cant find any reason why it did what it did so gunna see how it goes.

My SR hasn't done this again and the car is used everyday. Past the 15K miles on the odometer , the engine should be well bedded in

My SR hasn't done this again and the car is used everyday. Past the 15K miles on the odometer , the engine should be well bedded in

mines only done 3000miles but i put it down to the rain which was very heavy, it was raining again yesterday but it didnt do anytthing so must be 1 of those misterious things in life, its been fine so far still pulls well and now getting around 50mpg now which is great

Our lass's Mk1 1.0 does this sometimes.

I cant find the fault though it does idle low when warm.

Check coil packs pal make sure no water has go in .... especially since its been raining it could be a high possibility

Just seen this man. Will do, cheers.

Got funk all else to do.

mines done it a few times after i last posted, i had all 4 coil packs and plugs changed and sempt ok, then 4 weeks ago it started to judder/miss on my way to work so i turned the car off and restarted it and was back to normal, started to to the same yesterday whilst i was in nottingham with the wafe so i took a video to show toyota what was happening.

went in today and showed the service manager what was happening and he was puzzled why it happens and why the management light doesnt come on.

now got to wait to see what toyota tecnical has to say about it.

never had any trouble with my 2001 fiat bravo in the 7 years of having it lol, oh well moden cars for you

My SR decided to do this today. It seemed to judder when stopped and low idle mileage is about 16300 and like the original poster it was with some v power nitro in it and it had been raining as well!

Needless to say it made it over to my in laws about twenty miles away when i parked up it sounded like it was going to stall.

Again switched off engine and came back to her about 30 mins later and started her up and no rough idle or judder.

Also fresh full tank of super market fuel added and she is running ok again.

Wonder if it is the shell fuel.

Davy

Davy , mines not done it since , mines had the 20K service in Dec. Im on 21K now , also i have fill up with V Power with no issues about 3 or 4 times at least. I only use exclusively Shell only. 

I don't think its the petrol at least. Have you plugged an OBD reader and any codes from it ? I checked mine straight after and there was no codes whatsoever. 

Need to invest in a code reader shortly and a workshop manual.

Not done it again. When I started it this morning the rev counter was a wee bit jumpy but nothing as bad as yesterday but thr car again has been spot on.

Davy