Sign in to follow this  
Mikedee

Slow To Accelerate, Delayed Pick Up.

Hi, I have a Yaris Verso year 2000. Starting off after lights etc. is very slow. It takes a while for the engine to pick up revs. When the bonnet is open and the car gets a quick burst on the accelerator, there is a kind of popping air noise first then it starts to pick up acceleration. This happens every time upon acceleration taking off from lights and in traffic etc.

The only way I counteract this at the moment is to keep the revs high at lights or moving slow in traffic. At speed on the motorway, the car seems fine. It probably happens in between gear changes on the main roads at higher speeds but it is not as noticeable. Any advice would be very much appreciated. It would be nice to get it sorted out.  

Many thanks, Mike.

I'm also having the same issue, but when I use shell v power it's alot better, like day and night difference but still not as good as other yaris 1.0 l I've driven,
On a small engine like this shell v power or other high octane fuel should make no noticeable difference, but then I'm puzzled as to what it could be????

Check what fuel you are using. Have you run any cleaners through the fuel system? Take out a spark plug and see how it looks (sparkplugs can tell alot about how the engine is performing) http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp refer here. Also as Big_g says it could be a sensor. You can get MAF sensor cleaners cheap enough. These are easy and cheap processes that could possibly resolve your issue. If you still have issues I would see someone who can check over the car. 

as above check and clean the MAF sensor with carb cleaner or a drying electrical cleaner.  Also, have a look for any vacuum leaks which you will hear as s slight hissing noise.  You can also check by spraying some water from a mist bottle on te hoses and seeing if there is any change in engine note.  Where it does, you've found your leak.

Run some redex through the tank, check the spark plugs and make sure the coilpacks are properly fitted on the plugs as well. As above the condition of the plugs will give an indication of engine condition.  Check also the condition of the end of the HT leads that fit on the plus directly.  HTH