Sign in to follow this  
DrSuess

Gearbox Oil Changed

Decided to change my gearbox oil, I figured after 12 years and 107,000 miles my SR  deserved it. For anyone thinking of doing it on their series 1 Yaris it's a relatively easy job, you need gloves, a 24mm socket, and a good container to catch the oil as it shoots out sideways in one go! I always loosen the filler bolt before I loosen the drain bolt to make sure it's going to go smoothly, the filler bolt is at the front and the drain underneath near the inner CV joint. I removed the air filter pickup pipe and the rubber elbow so I could get access to the filler bolt, the drain bolt is easily accessed no need to remove anything. Regarding fluid it was a choice between Redline MTL and Castrol Syntrans (both 75/90 GL4 synthetic), I went for Castrol as the Redline although marginally better was more than I was prepared to fork out on what is an old shopping trolley ;-) The Toyota handbook says the tranny takes 1.9 litres - I poured in 2 litres and there was no sign of it dribbling out, I'll have to leave the car on level ground overnight and check it but I have a feeling I'll be buying another bottle - go figure. To fill it I used a length of garden hose attached to a plastic funnel, I can't get on with just using those bottles. Ok, was it worth it? I'd say yes, the gears operate more smoothly and the lower 3 gear synchros are noticeably quieter which is what I hoped for. Next on my list is to lubricate the actual mechanism.

This is a great how to :) I was thinking of doing this soon but didn't know what I would be getting myself into. But now I feel more confident! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk