Sign in to follow this  
nickb

Which Gearbox Oil?

Afternoon folks,

I’ve had my 03 Yaris  1.0l T3 from new I decided to do my own serving/repairs as the age/value of the car does not warrant the prices garages are charging whilst I wanted to learn how it worked (also, some monkey filled my coolant with green rather then red– flushing that as we speak).

Anyhow, having spent all this time on the vehicle I figured I should also change the gearbox oil (my gearbox has always been crunchy in reverse and I only learnt the 2nd- reverse trick recently). However, I’ve found nothing but conflicting recommendations across forums and wondered if you had any recommendations on specific oil for the 1.0 litre mk1 Yaris gearbox.

I was thinking of using Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90 GL4 fully syntheticI've heard that GL4 is better for the yaris gearbox.

However, I’ve also seen reference to:

• Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus 75W-90 GL4/GL5 (I think that is the equivalent  of the Castrol Driveline Syntrax Universal oil referenced in your ‘Knowledge Base Gearbox Service ‘ booklet).
  • Redline MTL 75W-90 GL4 (I can’t find MTL 75W-90 , only the MT 75W-90. Where can you buy the MTL or is it obselete)
  • Comma SX75W-90 GL4 semi synthetic

Which of these have you used and would recommend? I don’t want to make the wrong choice.

Nick

(P.S. So far I’ve replaced rear brake shoes, front brake hoses, brake fluid (DOT 4), oil/oil filter, pollen filter, air filter and anti roll bar drop link rods (I had a major service a year previous). I’m also half way through flushing the coolant – 4 complete flushes thus far and I’m planning more tomorrow).

I put Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus 75w90 in mine, was definitely worth the change as the old stuff came out like dirty piss and that was only after 30,000 miles. Box sharpened up slightly too.

Jesus you like flushing coolant :p

i use Syntrans Multivehicle 75W90 but in fact it's a 75W85 GL-4 oil

if you look at Castrol PDF catalogue you'll notice that it's recommended for Yaris scp10

good oil, i'd say it improved a bit rear gear after Motul Gear 300 GL5 (2 years in my gearbox)

be aware that old and popular TAF-X is now called Syntrans Transaxle

and old SMX-S is a Syntrans Multivehicle

Thanks for all the feedback. In the end I opted for Castrol Universal 75w-90 (a.k.a Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus) because every Halfords in my local area was out of Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75w-90. The gearbox oil, though dirty, was pleasing metal free! New oil has not really made a massive difference, but then gearshift was fine in the first place.

Good to know that the gearbox looks to be in excellent condition though - along with the rest of the car.

Nick