Sign in to follow this  
Yaris420

420's Beat Up Baby Type R

Ok so this really was never meant to be a project, bought a 1.3 sr as a run around. Loved it despite it being extremely dodgy (sure it had a bent chassis) then upgraded to a t-sport cus I could afford to insure it! (Not easy with a previous ban).

Then became wholly unsatisfied with it after seeing a few others namely matt dodds mint condition red p2, garmstrongs loud soon to be monster p1 and swinhoes blue p1 flame spitter.

So coilovers have gone on not properly by sounds of things but think I have found the source of my knocking an it appears to be down to my installation as opposed to the parts so will be sorting that out soon. Also put a front and rear strut brace on and heko wind deflectors (thanks garmstrong)

Here it is in it's current state:
4A1B5CC0-EF90-47DC-953E-77091B4670D9_zps

Next I have these to fit:
CD6DECBC-7E0E-4192-B2DB-02ECF49BFDD1_zps
8AB10891-9C61-4316-90A8-C9E33037EE5F_zps

Along with some mtec dimpled and grooved discs. Will be looking to change brake fluid and paint callipers when I have the brakes stripped down. New spark plugs, oil and filter change to come in next month or so but still torn between a performance panel filter or full blown induction kit.

That's it for winter unless someone wants to sell me a rear arb? Also despite the fact the the drop link bushes aren't knocking yet, they look like a Big Mac which Gemma Collins has sat on, very sorry state so will be going for some nice new poly bushes though not sure what they will be like to fit?

Moving house, starting new job and planning a wedding (or paying for a wedding should I say) means this car will be left until summer.

Engine is good (this is my daily), gearbox is a little stiff when cold (maybe change the gearbox oil with service).

Body work is pretty bad. Pictures to follow and tips on bodywork would be great as I'm not clues up at all when it comes to that.

Hopefully this car will be decent in a year or so and I'm open to ideas of where to take it until my tt99 vanishes from my license an I can get an ep3 :)

Welcome :)

The ARB bushes are pretty easy to fit to be honest. The hard part can be getting the old ones off though, mine were rusted solid.

I personally went for a Blitz panel filter, as I was moving house when I did the service so funds were tight at the time.

House, job and wedding sounds like a busy year for you!!

Yeah, very busy year. Wedding isnt until late 2016 but spending will commence pretty much as soon as the other half gets her hands on my pay :( She got me a track day for xmas though so she is kind of in my good books, unlike your missus I see...

Drop link bushes look rotten, I'm pretty worried about trying to get them off.

Hahaha, yeah, that would put mine back in my good books!
Weddings are bloody expensive. I'm warning you now. Even simple stuff that you think can only cost a couple of quid will probably double or triple in value when it's for a wedding!

Have a hacksaw or anglegrinder to hand so you can cut through the bolt. Just hope you can get them undone with a socket/wrench otherwise a relatively easy job turns into a pain in the arse.
I ordered mine from EnergySuspension in the US. Shipping's a bitch, but the exchange rate puts them at a reasonable price.

Part Number: 8.5130
Product Name: Front Sway Bar Bushings - 25mm
Quantity: 1
Unit Price: $25.99
> > > Color : Red
--------------------------
Order Total : $25.99
Shipping : $45.85
Grand Total : $71.84

Thanks for that, will get these purchased in next few months along with a hacksaw, theres no way they are going to come straight out looking at them.

Here are the rough bits:
FC38AA5A-6BB5-4209-87ED-3129027AFA1D_zps
CA02A34E-C59A-4D46-822C-11E0160E471F_zps
BDB57A0E-4420-46FD-841E-CA8BDA0BC55F_zps
2847EE73-DA4B-4257-877B-A4C31BB7F270_zps

No idea how much this lot will cost to get put right, hate the little dents in the rear quatera though.

the little dents are easily removed by mobile dent repair places... maybe £60-70?

I touch up chips on the edge of my doors. No idea how they get there, but just dabbing some touch-up paint makes them a lot less obvious.

£60-£70? Was expecting double that. Hope I can get them sorted for that price that would be great. I've never used touch up paint before, I may give it a go I just always fear I'd make it look worse lol.

I've found the Halfords ones to generally be good, but there is carpaints4u online (I think) who do kits as well.

Just take your time and be patient, layering rather than dolloping loads on.

Get quotes from a few places, but I think I paid about that for a guy to push some dents out of my old Celica.

Thanks InsolentMinx, will give halfords paint a go - what's the worst that could happen?!

Yeah, I'm deffo not going to attempt them without purchasing a hacksaw, I think they've been on the car since new and still aren't knocking but they are surely past their best now. I'm from Newcastle, quite a few owners up here atm.

Tried fixing the knocking noise from the rear - no luck :( think it's free play in the spring so ordered the adjuster rings for the rear spring platforms to raise the back end a tad. In the meantime I fitted the tenabe back box to cancel out the knocking :D

695F11E1-2862-4C6E-92C4-36B5B4401A77_zps

It is virtually kissing the tarmac so raising the back end is deffo my next alteration.

Started new job and flat broke due to pay being messed up by former employer so not a great time. However, have purchased these to raise the back end a bit and hopefully cure that nasty knocking noise.
7A7DC7BB-8963-40B4-A53F-AC56BDA8288A_zps
Also have spring seat insulators all purchased directly from bc uk, great service from them very helpful to say the least.

if you grease the threads up before they go on it will help lots later down the line... :) 

those rings are made of chocolate and its easy to round them with a c spanner when the threads get full of shite from the road

Copper grease best for them? I've got a wire brush, think it might be a good idea to brush the spring platforms before attempting to put the rings on?

6DEB545E-1AAC-40A3-BBCE-F083E200138D_zps

Debadged the back of the car, all has gone ok other than this where the laquer has peeled off. How do I make this look ok again? Also there is still a bit of dirt/gum visible on close inspection. What's the best way to remove it?

I rolled the sticky stuff off with my finger then after a quick polish you couldbt see the outlines anymore. Dont know about the laquer peel though

Sticky gum can be removed with WD40, a bit of engine degreaser, or a bit of polish (I use Autoglym Super Resin Polish).

If the lacquer is gone, then you need advise from one the members like MCG.

Thanks mike, managed to get it off with a bit petrol. There is still a faint line but I will give it another go on the weekend. I have pm'd mcg about another job so will also mention the lacquer.

Copper grease best for them? I've got a wire brush, think it might be a good idea to brush the spring platforms before attempting to put the rings on?

Copper or graphite will do fine :) 

So the adjuster rings have gone on the rear and it's still knocking :( old shocks going back in to see if the knock stops, if it does anyone got any idea how much bc br rear shocks cost? I'm expecting £300 at least. If the knocking persists then it ha to be the axle bushes.

Power flow centre section going in on Thursday next week. Can't wait for that! After this gets done it's all about detailing.

It's so frustrating the knocking isn't it! I guess it's just a matter of eliminating all the possibilities until the knocking goes. I'm hopefully going to be swapping my shocks over tomorrow so I'll see if that works for me and let you know buddy. Hopefully it cures it for you at least you know what it is then!