Sign in to follow this  
buellzebub

Clutch Problem..

Hi all,
Just joined the forum as we've just purchased a 2007 '56, 1.3 5dr Zinc. One owner from new (an old gentleman), 88k miles with full service history (but not main dealer).
Basically a lovely, well cared for car but it does have a problem: the clutch biting point is almost at the floor. I did some research first and found that old fluid can be a problem so bled and flushed the system, I did get some air out. Unfortunately it made no difference to the biting point so I changed the slave cylinder for a new one and bled again. Still no change to the bite point. So my question is, do I change the master cylinder or go straight for a replacement clutch, or is there something else I should be checking first?
Many thanks in advance,
Mick.

My 2006 (06) 1.3 5dr T3 does exactly the same thing - biting point is reached by only moving the clutch up about a half centimetre. Pain in the arse it is as its so easy to keep stalling the engine while at traffic lights with it in gear and the clutch down, as my leg often creeps backwards under the spring pressure of the clutch. Its a bugger changing gear as well, as I have to make sure the clutch pedal is firmly planted in the carpet every time, or the gears grind or wont go in. I tried bleeding the master and slave cylinders too, but it made no difference. I can only think Toyota used some sub standard clutch on these early Mk2 models, and they fail prematurely - my car has only covered 22K miles and was only used infrequently by my mother before I had it off her 2 weeks ago.

I'd be interested if anyone else has had this problem and if a new clutch and pressure plate cured it?

Its ruining the enjoyment of driving this car now.

So far, I'm living with it - its not getting any worse, just a very low biting point - as long as I make sure the clutch pedal is firmly to the carpet on each gear change its OK, most of the time, unless I'm too quick changing gear from 3rd to 4th and then it can grind on the odd occasion. The new Mk 3 that my mother just had (64 plate 1.3 Icon) has a biting point much higher up the pedal, and thats how its supposed to be - When I drive the transit van at work, I keep overreving the engine now as I'm used to  the low biting point in my Yaris, and on other vehicles its way up the pedal travel. Pain in the arse, but I cant afford the expense of changing the clutch on a car thats only done 22,000 miles. As people say, it seems a common issue and people just put up with the inconvienience of taking it out of gear while sitting at junctions waiting for traffic lights to change.