Sign in to follow this  
Trudy

Mot Problem

I had my 2003 Yaris T Spirit 49719 miles serviced and MOT at Johnsons Toyota. I received a telephone call from Johnsons later in the day informing me that the car had failed the MOT because of excessive corrosion to the brake pipes and quoting me £857.16 including VAT to repair. I passed the telephone to my husband who told them we were not interested in having the work done at that price. The man at Johnsons said he would look at the price again and call back in 15 minutes. He called back and re-quoted a price just under £700. WOW!!! £150 in 15 minutes.

My husband declined the offer at which point the man at Johnsons became quite agitated saying " there was about 5 hours work involved - the car was not safe and pointing out that our current MOT would run out in a few days and we would not be able to use it". My husband replied that perhaps it was time to change the car.

My husband called the garage he uses and they quoted a maximum of £175.00 including VAT to include replacing the nearside and offside anti-roll bar bushes that were on the MOT as advisory items. They came to our house and collected the car and returned it later in the day. They had replaced the bushes and they had carried out a thorough examination of the brake pipes which included removing the dirt and scrapping down to bright metal and they had not been able to find any corrosion. They had taken the car to an independent MOT station and pointed out the situation and had the car re-tested and it passed. The total cost was £110.00 including the cost of the MOT and VAT.

My husband telephoned Johnsons and they asked him to return the car so they could inspect it. It ended up with my husband, the MOT chap and the service manager standing under the car with the MOT chap saying " we always fail a car if there is 20% wear on brake pipes" so my husband said " "right, lets see your measuring tool and we can measure it". "We don't have a measuring tool" replied the MOT chap. "So how do you know there is 20% wear" said my husband. 

This was followed by a very embarrassing silence at which point my husband walked out of the service bay hotly pursued by the service manager who said "as the situation stood the car would pass the MOT but he would not let his wife drive a car with corroded brake pipes". There was no offer to reimburse the cost of the MOT.

Out of interest, I looked at the MOT Inspection Manual and found that for brake pipes the manual states: Chafing, corrosion or damage to a rigid brake pipe so that its wall thickness is reduced by 1/3 (e.g. approximately 0.25 mm for typical hydraulic brake pipe) is a reason for rejection.

So by failing a car with 20% wall thickness reduction as opposed to the 33% stated in the Inspection Manual aren't Johnsons breaking the law?

I apologise for the length of this post.

Lesson - Dealerships (not all, but most) are rip-off merchants

A lot of places are!

It's unfortunately a case of going through what you have to weed out the bad and letting other folk know

Also having a higher standard than the MOT isn't illegal, only having a lower one is as the MOT standards are a minimum standard required to pass, that's how they get away with it.

Edited by Colv.

As Colv says. You just have to find a good garage that you can trust. Recommendations from friends and family is best. I had a similar experience with a Vauxhall dealership when I had a Cavalier. It went in for an insurance repair and a service. It came out with a problem list of about 10 things which included exhaust corroded to excess, leaking power steering pump and my favourite..... a noise from the handbrake. They couldn't even tell me what the noise was. They needed to investigate further. At that point I actually called bullshit to the guys face. Got my car checked elsewhere and not one of the problems on the list was real. The cost of all of it could have cost someone well over £1000 for no reason.
There's not a lot you can do other than stop using using place and tell others what a rip off they are.

dealers...... absolute cocks all of them. who on earth charges £140 for an oil and filter change? id want 5/30 valvoline fully synth at £50 a bottle and a hks oil filter for that price. they charge well over the odds just so you can get a shitty stamp in a book. i wouldn't touch a car that had been main dealer serviced. they just don't replace stuff when they say they have or they make up work that doesn't need to be done. id rather have a car thats been to a reputable garage but you cant always tell by looking at the receipts for parts and labour whether they're a rip off merchant or not if they mark up the parts...

i took my old 1.3 to get serviced once at RMB in stockton because they had a £99 oil, filter n pollen filter service offer on. just a basic service. they said they had replaced my pollen filter on the receipt and when i pulled it out just out of curiosity to check it was manky and i'd only driven the car around 40 miles since then. i rang them up and asked why they charged me for one and not replaced it? their excuse was interesting, "we checked it and saw that it didn't need replacing" i actually drove back up 3 days later and demanded one then fitted it in the car park. then i walked back in and dumped my old one on the counter then drove off  :roadrage: