Sign in to follow this  
Azzaaaaaaa

2013 Yaris Tr 1.33 16V Engine Appears To Get Too Hot

Issue I've noticed on this car is that (as its used as a driving instruction vehicle and is out mostly all day every day), is that the engine seems to bake.

The Mrs has noticed that the engine seems to get to temperature OK, but then runs really hot - to the point that when the car is parked up stationary the radiator fan kicks in and switches in and out (presumably saying the coolant temperature is too hot), however its not as if the car is doing anything at that time?

Car is a 6 speed 2013 Yaris Manual 1.3 16V (don't know if that's a VVTI or not) TR Spec.

Also 99% of the time because the engine bay gets SO warm, when you put the vents on cold it wont blow cold without the air conditioning being on to force the temperature down, the car will only blow warm air through the vents despite being on cold (with no AC of course).

Has anyone else had issues like this? I've had the car from Pinkstones Toyota in Stoke on trent, Staffordshire and everytime ive taken the car into them they get really abrupt about ANYTHING that could be their fault or responsibility, to the point the Mrs is scared to take the car in as the one thing that's been done under warranty (the seat guide rails getting stuck), they shouted and kept telling her its her fault and if it happens again they don't give a stuff as its our problem....Our driving is causing a seat to lock....erm....yeah?

I've pulled the service plan and any contact with the garage as I've hated how we've been treated since signing for the car, we brought the car after being told its low emission and in the £30 a year tax bracket, then I get a tax bill of £110 and find out its not the tax band C we were told its band D!

Yes but there probably aren't too many that have experience of a Yaris that new. Just wait a little there are some very knowledgeable members on here. Someone will reply I'm sure

Mostly Mk1's round here I'm afraid.

I'm not any good at the mechanical side of things but I notice the cars 2 - 3 years old, has it had it's coolant changed since new? Also if it's an instruction vehicle I'm guessing it does a lot of miles? Might need coolant changes every 1 - 2 years.

Also that garage sounds bloody dreadful! You should have stood your ground and done everything through the manager, if the dealer manager continued to be an arse contact who ever is above them and demand action.

Mostly Mk1's round here I'm afraid.

I'm not any good at the mechanical side of things but I notice the cars 2 - 3 years old, has it had it's coolant changed since new? Also if it's an instruction vehicle I'm guessing it does a lot of miles? Might need coolant changes every 1 - 2 years.

Also that garage sounds bloody dreadful! You should have stood your ground and done everything through the manager, if the dealer manager continued to be an arse contact who ever is above them and demand action.

Yeah i'm getting that impression, did no one buy anything after the MK1 :P ? 

Coolant wise, not 100% certain, i'm going to guess at no. I have thought of that one myself, going to drain and replace it within the month.

Yes the garage is awful - i've now taken it to W R Davies in stafford instead, seems to be a lot better.

As far as the manager goes, i was dealing with the service manager already and he just got arsey. So i cancelled the service plan and when they asked why i was cancelling i told them they havent changed ANYTHING in the year we had the car despite it doing 30Km within that time, from the evidence we got back they would just check levels, charge the service fee you've paid up until now as part of your service plan then issue you an invoice saying you need all this, oh by the way its not covered under the service plan - basic things like pollen and air filters are apparantley not covered...? And they wanted over £90 for those two bits.

The cooling fan is just doing its job, keeping the engine cool while the car is stationary and there is no natural airflow through the radiator. A red overheat warning light should come on of the engine gets too hot.

The cooling fan is just doing its job, keeping the engine cool while the car is stationary and there is no natural airflow through the radiator. A red overheat warning light should come on of the engine gets too hot.

I accept that, however the cabin shouldn't sit at 25-30 degrees or so as a result of normal driving should it? It appears the engines getting that warm it's heating the cabin. Also as a minor notice I've been told from Toyota this engine has been discontinued and a new 1.33 introduced which I find odd. It's mysteriously a lower tax band too which mine isn't, it was brought as a band C and arrived as a band D

I accept that, however the cabin shouldn't sit at 25-30 degrees or so as a result of normal driving should it? It appears the engines getting that warm it's heating the cabin. Also as a minor notice I've been told from Toyota this engine has been discontinued and a new 1.33 introduced which I find odd. It's mysteriously a lower tax band too which mine isn't, it was brought as a band C and arrived as a band D

I don't understand, are you saying you have a heater and aircon problem?

I don't understand, are you saying you have a heater and aircon problem?

I wouldnt think so no. Its just that under normal driving, the engine cab heats up quite a lot which seems to coincide with the engine fan kicking in a lot too.

When turning the heaters to cold, they wont actually reach anything colder than a luke warm temp when all this is happening which would say to me that the engine bay is still too hot? The only thing that cools the cabin in this case is the air conditioning.