Sign in to follow this  
nickp8

Engine Coolant Warning Light On

I only picked up my Yaris today from the dealers. It is a Toyota approved used car and has just had a full service.

When I picked it up all was ok. I bought it home and it was on the drive for a few hours. When I went to move the car after turning it on I noticed one of the dash lights had come on - the engine coolant warning light and it was staying on permanent in red.

I came in to check the owner guide to see what it meant and went back out and turned the car back on. Light stayed on in red. Reved the car a bit and the light went blue and stayed on blue. Then after a couple of minutes or so it went off completely.

Anyone else had this before?

I have read that it is normal for the blue light to come on when starting up from cold but mine was red at first which indicates engine overheating? Do you think there is some problem?

Is it ok to drive the car or should I leave it till speaking to the dealer?

Thanks.
Nickp.

Id just take it easy and watch if it does it again, if it does then there may be air in the system, or at worst, a leak.

Check the rad to ensure its full and top it up if need be.

If its had a full service the coolant might have been done and an air bubble has passed through, again just check the levels

the red ligh used to come on on mine if you started it when warm, but went off after a few secs, like jaxx said keep an eye on it