Sign in to follow this  
djbenny1

Servicing car yourself

my car is kickin the arse of 90k and it has been serviced every 10k, not always by toyota but its always been done nonetheless so I intend to keep it up

so i was wondering what exactly is involved in a service? and is there anything inparticular that needs done at 90k? i had a look around there and the general idea is oil, spark plugs, coolant, pollen filter stuff like that, and i think timing chain is 100k right?

now my da insists oil changes are an almighty pain in the ass but tbh its not that i dont want to pay someone else to do it, i would rather do it myself just for the knowledge if you know what i mean!

spark plugs i know are easy and i dnt have a pollen filter but oil and coolant, hard? i know the previous owner did it himself and said it was easy lol

so basically yea how hard is it and what exactly is involved?

cheers!

if you look in the service book i think it says somewhere or other in there.

Changing the oil shouldn't be too hard to diy never done it myself on the yaris always goes to mr T - disposing of its a pita, most garages by me will do a oil change for less than 30 quid mind

Doing most things on a car easy enough if you've got the tools just pants when you get it half apart and don't have the bit you need to finish it off

Oil and filter is easy - all you need is an oil filter strap and socket set. No great shakes other than making sure you get the oil warm then undo the sump plug - being careful not to drop it in the old oil. Let it drain (having taken top cap off).

Soon as it stops running then replace the plug with a new sump plug washer and get the filter strap into the filter - all you need to do is crack it off from tight then undo by hand. Its a small filter so its not heavy nor does it hold too much. Clean the base of the fitment and then oil up the lip of the new filter ( i like trd filters) and replace. Once its as tight as you get it with your hand then nip it up a half turn with the filter strap. Refill via the top filler cap. A tsport holds about 3.5l.

Coolant is easy - theres a drain plug on the lower right hand side of the rad and refilling is via the rad cap. Undo and let it run - coolant should be bright pink and smell kinda sweet when its new. The draker and nastier smelling the more needing changed it is. Redo the plug and refill via the rad cap. I can usually get about 3l in before it wont take anymore - run the car for a bit with the rad cap off and itll pull more through the system. I think Ive managed to get roughly 4l in before. Lastly put the rad cap back on and go for a run. Note where the reading is on the expansion tank and top up as neccessary.

Plugs re simple - undo coilpack bolt then remove - one at a time. You need a decent plug spanner - thats all.

Other stuff to look out for is the brake pads - always check the inner rather than the outer pad. Worth remembering also that the brake fluid does deteriate over time. Motul 5.1 is good as a replacement.

Since my tsport went out of warranty .. roughly 60k, I've done my own servicing. Earpl came down and supervised me the first time and I've done the same for Charlie and Campervan over the years. Its not hard - either ramps or a decent car jack (preferrably trolley jack) is the way to go. I've serviced the Yaris, my missus's MR2 and my Pajero and assisted with Alan's Vehicross - they're all the same - just different locations and filters....

Hope that helps

Clarky

^He missed out the bit about "stand back and laugh at Alan getting warm oil down his arm when releasing the filter"

:/

A

Top advice and that's exactly how I would do it.. Recently did a major service on my diesel Accord - bit nerve racking as the fuel filter is a PITA - Honda charge £80 labour just to do the filter due where the filter is located...

Anyways back on topic, I tend to maintain our family cars at home and it will be no different for the Yaris..

Couple of questions as I've not had a good look around the car yet:

Does the Yaris (2001 1.0 GS) have a fuel filter or is it part of the fuel tank assembly and not a servicable item?

Our car has no AC, can I therefore assume there is no pollen filter?

The car is on 47k miles = when should I change the plugs really?

OK the most contentious question of all time.. realistically what is the most suitable oil? I was thinking a 5w/30 Synthetic? 10/40 is probably a bit too thick for a VVTI really?

And finally, will our Yaris have brake drums on the rear? I can't see through the wheel trims but I suspect it does - and the handbrake pulls quite high at the moment although it passed it's MoT just fine..

Drums seem a bit primitive for a 2001 car no?

Cheers

Rhys, get yourself one of [url=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BN-GENUINE-TOYOTA-SERVICE-KIT-RAV4-YARIS-COROLLA-CELIC_W0QQitemZ230358354406QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item35a26d89e6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14]these[/url], a 4ltr drum of the oil of your choice, and that's the basics sorted. Then you'll probably want to have a look round the brakes etc. so a good jack & axle stands, a good toolkit, and a tub of handcleaner, and report back with any findings on pad/disc wear etc.

As for oil, synthetic 5w 30 is what I use, same as I use in the Seat Altea and the Berlingo. I buy it in 20ltr drums as I use a good amount, but that's a little extreme for you I suspect. Opie oils will supply, or a good motor factors.

And I know VAG spec oil in a diesel Berlingo van is a waste, but the price I pay for it in bulk means it's cheaper than the cheap stuff from other places. :wink:

[quote name="coupe20vt"]F6HAD - our SR has drums on the rear.[/quote]

All but T-sports have drums to the rear. Given that about 80% of the braking on a car is done by the front wheels then for a shopping trolley drums are just fine - lower maintenance and cheaper - and certainly not primitive.

:thumbsup:

A