Sign in to follow this  
Axinite

Tail/break light problem (Sorted)

Hey All,

Need a little help with this one,
I noticed that one of my break lights was out so did what was needed and bought some new bulbs, i decided to go with LED's as they last longer and would look a little better.
After a small issue with getting the right ones (ended up with a wedge fitting bulb rather than baynette fitting) I have come to fit them.

Now, they work but without the resistors in they won't get any brighter when i break with my lights on, ie don't go from dim ish tail lights to fully bright break lights. I am guessing this is just a case of putting the resistors in and then this will work as leds work off smaller currents.

The plot thickens however, as when i fitted the orginals back in now the break light works no problem but the tail light does not come on???
So I am now confused, this kinda points to a wiring / earthing issue rather than a fault with the bulb does it not? I have checked all the main cabling loom going into the cluster and it is secure so that isn't loose. Any other ideas?

Any help would be grand!

Thanks for the quick reply mate.

Its French built as far as i know, and no i didn't unplug the loom only the bulb holder itslef

Right, I just popped into the garage to have a peek at my stock P1 French built tail lights, to see what's what.

A while ago I took my tail lights off as I was doing some maintenance/investigating, I unplugged them to take them off, and when I plugged them back in, I took it out for a drive, whenever I indicated one way (can't remember which) the fog came on, and when I broke, the reverse came on I think. French plugs are useless compared to Jap plugs (which I have now) as the points can get bent really easily and two can touch onto the same one if your not careful, so it was just a case of carefully taking them off and making sure the points touch each other correctly.

Anyway, you haven't unplugged yours, but after I looked at mine in the garage, the five points on each tail light go from the plugs and split off to the three bulb holders, I think that some of the connections on the bulb holder might not be touching, I could be wrong though, and have typed all that out when something else is up!

Well mine is a P2 from what i can see there ia the main cable loom into the cluster then nothing else, but then again i have not touched the cabling, only the holders for the tail/brake lights.

It is certainly strange and annoying, may have to take it to a garage and get them to take a look at it, and may as well get em to fit the leds while they are at it.

You may find the LEDs wont work. My mate had this issue.

A normal Yaris tail/brake bulb is dual filament. As in 1 for tail and 1 for brake. The LED you have may not be dual so will only do the tails.

Well I went and bought some standard bulbs and its now sorted, seems it was just the LED's playing up.

Note to all, unless you are willing to play about with the wiring, LED tail/brake bulbs are a bad idea.

Thanks for the help :)

[quote name='Axinite' date='26 July 2010 - 10:44 AM' timestamp='1280137484' post='132074']
Well I went and bought some standard bulbs and its now sorted, seems it was just the LED's playing up.

Note to all, unless you are willing to play about with the wiring, LED tail/brake bulbs are a bad idea.

Thanks for the help :)
[/quote]

Unless its Genuine Toyota Stuff, or lights like Coxys imported from Japan :D